Red Series

Thursday 21 June 2012

Book Review Thursday: Let's Get Invisible

Let's Get Invisible by R.L. Stine
Genre: Horror
Published: Steptember 01, 2003 (first published January 1, 1993)
Source: Borrowed at Library
First heard of: Through reading Goosebumps books.
Purchase: Amazon, Barnes and Noble



Summary from Barnes and Noble: In this spooky, middle-grade thriller, Max and his friends discover that being able to be invisible isn't so terrific if you can't make yourself reappear.
When a magic mirror holds twelve-year-old Max invisible for too long, he fears that he may be changed forever by a reflection of his real self.

Review: Today I'll be taking many readers back to their childhood by reviewing a book from the goosebumps series. To me R.L. Stine.  Max and his friends find a mirror in the attic that can make you invisible. This seems great at first until things start taking a darker turn. His annoying younger brother Lefty doesn't help and as things go south Matt needs to save both himself and those around him. Goosebumps series are the perfect books for small children. The plot is simple yet interesting and the end always leaves some surprise or new horror for the main character. For children it's an excellent. I loved them as a kid and still love some now. But adult hood does expand your reading palette and when I reread this book at the library earlier this year I noticed the simplicity of the plot and the faults of writing a book for a younger crowd who won't notice plot holes or quick fixes 'word wise' to get a desired effect.

I still love Goosebumps and R.L. Stine's works mind you. But I can see why this one won't be in the top 100 best written books for children.

Rating: I will give this two ratings.

Me now: 3 Stars (meaning a solid read but nothing necessarily special)

My Childhood Self: 4.5 Stars

P.S. : Lord Brinn's interview will be tomorrow. Don't know who he his? Click here to familiarize yourselves.

3 comments:

  1. My son picked up a couple of these at the book fair. We are reading some other books right now but it should be fun to experience them with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your two ratings. classic mg =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to own a ton of these books!

    ReplyDelete

Waiting on Wednesday: Reconnected

Please Note: The final WOW on this blog as I take my final bow this month. I want to thank all readers of this post and all my blogging. I r...