Red Series

Wednesday 25 October 2017

Book Review: The Glass Sphere Sneak Peek

I read the preview of The Glass Spare by Lauren DeStefano on the Epic Reads Website. Below is my review of the sample.

Title: The Glass Spare by Lauren DeStefano

Publication Date: October 24, 2017

Source: Epic Reads Website

Purchase: AmazonBarnes and Noble, Book Depository.


Summary on Goodreads

A banished princess.
A deadly curse.
A kingdom at war.


Wil Heidle, the only daughter of the king of the world’s wealthiest nation, has grown up in the shadows. Kept hidden from the world in order to serve as a spy for her father—whose obsession with building his empire is causing a war—Wil wants nothing more than to explore the world beyond her kingdom, if only her father would give her the chance.

Until one night Wil is attacked, and she discovers a dangerous secret. Her touch turns people into gemstone. At first Wil is horrified—but as she tests its limits, she’s drawn more and more to the strange and volatile ability. When it leads to tragedy, Wil is forced to face the destructive power within her and finally leave her home to seek the truth and a cure.

But finding the key to her redemption puts her in the path of a cursed prince who has his own ideas for what to do with her power.

With a world on the brink of war and a power of ultimate destruction, can Wil find a way to help the kingdom that’s turned its back on her, or will she betray her past and her family forever?
 
Book Review

The main character Wil was born after three previous attempts by her mother to have a girl. Yet from the start it was clear that she was different. The sneak peak gave readers from Prologue to Chapter Two to read for free. I got introduced to the world of The Glass Spare which isn't a happy go lucky one. As the youngest and a princess, Wil's often kept indoors and expected to be a lady. In truth she's anything but and sneaks out for one of her brothers to get ingredients for weapons he makes both for his own pleasure and at the order of the father. A wealthy king only desiring more power and places to rule. Even the poor are left to suffer as resources are more geared towards acquiring wealth than taking care of all the citizens.

This early Wil's secret power's not introduced but I got an idea of how complicated Wil's life is the desire to travel versus pleasing her family. Even one of her older brothers Owen had to return from traveling because he's to be married to create or strengthen an alliance. I think this story is definitely worth reading and I'd recommend it to current fans of Lauren and fantasy lovers alike.

But there was one problematic feature I didn't enjoy. There are some references to dark versus fair that I found troubling to offensive. I understand that dark can be used to represent darkness. But when you use dark eyes and features versus blue eyes and fair features to describe looks and family relationship from a good versus evil perspective. I think that can open a can of worms. I know fair hair and blue eyes have been used to typify innocence but it felt somewhat that dark references to people were being demonized. Writers need to be careful that these references don't implant hurtful thoughts in readers. I'm certain white as a ghost is not the same as a blonde white she-devil. It's all about the details and besides this blemish, I do want to read the book.

Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

  1. Dark versus light features have been used as evil versus good for years - it's such an old trope, you'd think the author would've used something different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's just so deeply buried in our symbolism that it's easy to use dark vs. light. Though, CS Lewis broke the mold with the evil White Witch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm someone who has lived a life seemingly in the background, I must say this final indignity I have suffered almost too much to endure. You see, I have been sickly and weak since the day I was born and doomed to go through all my life a weakling. I seemed to have always suffered from one illness or another and could never play with the other children as I so desperately wanted to. Mother always made such a big fuss over me, also, making the situation worse as the other boys teased me mercilessly after they saw it. I was browsing  the internet searching on how i could be transformed into a powerful when i came across the email of a man named Lord Mark. who was a VAMPIRE so I told him that I has always dreamed of becoming a  VAMPIRES, All i did was just to follow the procedure that i was been told, and i bet you that procedure I took change my entire life to something i ever desire, freedom, sickness free, pains free, fame, influence, connections and even more that i can. Thanks to Lord Mark. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Waiting on Wednesday: Reconnected

Please Note: The final WOW on this blog as I take my final bow this month. I want to thank all readers of this post and all my blogging. I r...